What its all about

Poppapope's Steam Car

Kit 8 - The Frame

 Just in case you were wondering, Kits 8 and 15 are just "Boiler Deposits" The Boiler comes as Kit 16. 

Kit 8 - Lower Frame

So on to the Frame Assembly - 

Back at the beginning I had taken the time to "dry-fit" the pieces of the frame while I was waiting for the initial chassis parts to come back from the powder coater.  Now that I have sent these parts off to get coated too, it is time to add them to the overall assembly.  

The time I took to prepare the pieces was well spent.  Everything lined up nice and pretty with only a few assists form the trusty "dead-fall - non-marring hammer".  

 Here I am with a little help from visiting assistants.

After it all came together on the jack stands: 


Then we lifted it onto the chassis.  Linking up the connection points on the leaf springs.




It was at this point that I looked around for the bolts to mount the frame to the chassis - no where to be found!!  Not sure if they were missing in action or just missing.  I acquired some stainless-steel replacements from our friends at McMaster-Carr, and proceeded to fasten things together. 







I opted for washers and nylock nuts on each stud or bolt.  You can also see that I added/changed to nice stainless dome nuts on an protruding studs.  This was mostly to avoid tearing my legs up as I crawled around the car in tight quarters.  (Plus I think they look pretty good)


Next is the upper portion of the frame - I have a short trip to California to visit some grandkids, and then back to work. 


Thanks for reading.

Regards to all,

Poppapope
Denver, Colorado USA



1 comment:

vicki said...

Well, it does look a bit like a modern version of the Fred Flintstone Mobile, but I have all the confidence you will succeed with this. I am also reminded of you and Bobby Keikaffer and your science fair project. Will you call on him if you get stuck???

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your thoughts on my build.