What its all about

Poppapope's Steam Car

Installing the Engine

Trying not to drop it. 

The engine was built, piece by piece, on a mount that I built from 2x4's that used threaded rods to hold the center post vertical.  When complete it weighs in at about 100lbs.  A bit unwieldy to just pick up and place in the chassis.  





 I decided to use my chain winch to pick it up and maneuver the engine over the frame and into place. I used a brass rod thru the guide brackets and used the winch to get it up in the air. 


 

 


Due to a slight mis-align in the horizontal mounting bracket, the upper bolt hole did not line up when first set into the chassis.  This would have caused issues with the chain alignment in the future.  I used a couple of washers and a piece of aluminum angle as a shim to bring things into proper position.  Then added lock washers and tightened everything up. 



I used a piece of aluminum bar as a straight edge along the side of the drive gear to check the alignment of the differential and the lower gear on the engine.  Looks perfect to me.  

Next I fix some issues on the differential and the parking brake. 


Thanks for reading,
Poppapope
Denver, CO
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your thoughts on my build.