What its all about

Poppapope's Steam Car

Stuff I bought to help finish the build.

 Assembly Aids and Supplies

These are items I bought to help me put my touch on the build process.  STW does give you "everything" you need, but I found that I wanted to take things a bit farther.  

Washers - STW provides very few washers.  I was raised to think; "If it is going to flex, expand, contract, or shift - think about putting a washer on it."  They also act to protect the surface from scratches and having the head/nut embed in the powder coating.  So - I bought a selection of both Stainless 304 and Black Oxide Washers, Nuts, and also assorted Bolts.


Thread Locker - STW provides bearing adhesive and another bottle, both are clear and unfamiliar to me. Most of us know Loctite - 242 as a medium strength,  I discovered that there is now a 243 that works well with remnants of grease or oil on the parts.  So a bottle of that is on my bench.  262 is the RED stuff and may also be used.  Finally a little "Ultra-Slick" for when I assemble the engine, it provides extra-slippery protection during the period that I am working with the engine prior to steaming.


UHMW Polymer Tape - Since I had the Leaf Springs powder coated, I felt that there was a good chance that the leafs would scratch each other during motion and sliding.  So I got a roll of this to aid in protection and hopefully also keep things sliding.  


 

U-Bolts - I read that the Leaf Springs had a tendency to spread sideways so adding u-bolts should keep things aligned. 


 

Form-A-Gasket - A tube of this is always handy when assembling things that might leak fluids.


Brass - Metal Polish - Cause you need to keep stuff shiny. 


Accessories - Cool Stuff I might add to the car. 

Speedometer - I see in other blogs where the builder has modified the brake disc by adding gear teeth along with mechanical cabling and an antique Speedo.  I chose a different route - I bought a GPS Speedo for a scooter (top speed 35MPH). 


Electrical Distribution -  Since I am adding some number of features to the build, I thought a distribution and fuse box might be in order.  

 

Lights - I picked up (privately from Dean at STW) a pair of Lucas - King of the Road Lamps.  These will be mounted on the sides - once I get the mounts from somewhere.   They are oil lamps, I have changed them to LED but kept the oil burners to convert back if I want to. 


Horn - and or Whistle -  One of each, or both, I will figure it out later when things get farther along.  The whistle appears to be a "home brew" model, but sounds really nice when you blow thru it.  The horn is from Rubes, and is well loved and complete.  So either way, people will know I am coming. 


And Finally - 

A Brake Light, and Switch - Cause I bet I will need one to get a License Plate.  Oh, and a Plate Bracket to go along with. 


So - that is about it on the "extras" - Mostly to make a cool car even cooler. 

Back to the build, 

Next are the Leaf Springs and final adjustments on the brake calipers. 


Thanks for reading - 

Poppapope
Denver, CO USA



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your thoughts on my build.