What its all about

Poppapope's Steam Car

Kit 23 - Body Panels - Part 2

 The Process Continues

 Now that I have the front panel up and mounted, I looked at the dashboard and the relationship to the front panel.  I found that the dashboard was much less rigid compared to the front panel, but if I could couple them together, the overall result would be stability. 

The Dashboard and the Front Panel - in place and tightened down.

There is abut 1.5 inches between the 2 surfaces.

I took a piece of scrap and used some "flexible" glue to secure it.   It should be removable fairly easily in the future.  
(I painted it black).

 

Floor Covering

With the Dashboard settled, and the floor sections painted, I noticed that black paint attracts a lot of dust and I can see how, in the future, I am going to have a lot of cleaning.  I also became concerned with what the floor would look like after the first few rides.  So - off to Amazon to find floor covering.  I chose rubber "diamond plate."  I used spray adhesive and down went the pad.  I left the front deck unattached as I might need to remove things in the future.  Since I did not want a seam between the two parts, something needed to be "floating".  I figured the Front Floor was the best. 

Rough Cut Rubber Floor


Removable Panels -  One for the fuel tank, one for the electronic controls.  I think there should also be one for the Brake Master Cylinder, but we will see if I need to add that in the future.  Hopefully it will stay a sealed system and not leak. 


Each removable panel has a finger pull.  So here is the look so far.  Along with the grommets for the Carriage Bell, Electric Horn (foot switch), and the tether for the dash electronics package. (next to the brake pedal).

The Engine Compartment Panel is supposed to be held in place by little magnetic catches.  Not my favorite way to do things.  I decided to add two knobs,  attaching to two studs,  to hold the panel where it needs to be. 


The Overall Look

I found a picture of an early model from about 1902 or so.   It has my color scheme. 


Next up - The Rear/Top Panels, Sides, and accessory mountings. 


Thanks for reading,

Poppapope
Denver, CO USA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your thoughts on my build.