What its all about

Poppapope's Steam Car

Looking Back - The Journey So Far

Time Out to Reflect - While waiting for kits to be shipped. 

In my communications with STW over the last months, I have come to appreciate the expertise in their organization.  Most of the issues I have had so far were of my own making.  Those that were not my fault have been addressed quickly and a solution found.   If you, the readers of this blog, have been to the website of Steam Traction World (STW), you will see that my series of kits is just one of many.  Most of the models are in current production, and I have heard that over 200 builders are currently being served. 

This is a lot of stuff to keep track of, and STW seems to be doing it well.  

Tools in my workshop.

I have been asked "What tools do I use/ are needed/ come in handy in order to build this vehicle."  I went into my workshop this morning and sorted thru the tools I have used so far in the build/assembly process. 

So here are the things in my "toolbox" in no particular order: 

 
 Four Jackstands - each on a dolly.  Obvious purpose. 
Now waiting until I need to work on a wheel or when the engine is ready to test. 

Scissor Lift - for "transmissions" but used as a jack instead of a Floor Jack due to space considerations. Also serves as a stool (with padding).  Came in real handy when assembling the differential, supporting the lower half in place.  (Harbor Freight) 

Pliers - Various Types 

Screwdrivers - 1 of each type/size.

Hex (Allen) Wrenches - Ball End on the long stem - both Metric and SAE

A "No-Mar" Hammer for those sensitive alignments.

A set of metric taps and dies.

Adjustable End-Wrenches 

Metric "Open-End" Wrenches

Both SAE and Metric Socket Sets 

Files - Large and Small

Bench and Power Tools Used

Here are the "workbench tools" I have used: 

One-Inch Belt Sander with a variety of belts.  

Medium Sized Bench Vise - (Soft Jaws not shown) 

Bench Grinder - Buffing Wheel

Favorite Hand Power Tool

Speaks for itself, I have used a variety of disc types. 


Consumables

These are the supply items I have found useful/necessary. 

Naphtha - excellent de-greaser, cleaner and prep for painting. 
 
Ultra Slick - keeps everything sliding until you actually run the engine.  Loctite 243(blue) and 262(red).
RectorSeal 5 - Pipe Thread Sealant - for water, oil, brakes, etc.  SteamSeal - For all the Engine Surfaces and Steam Ports.

This stuff is amazing - or it may be "too good to be true" -  Excellent gloss coverage, after 48 hours - seems very tough.  We will see how it holds up. 


A variety of Emory Paper - From 80-400 grit.  

Tap Magic - a necessity for drilling, tapping, cleaning out tapped holes, and avoiding the seize-up you can get when first fitting things.  Cleans off well with Naphtha,  it is NOT anti-sieze, just makes metal cutting, drilling and tapping easier. 
 
 
 
Last but not least - 
A computer - mounted on the wall out of the way so I can look things up or study one of the other builder's blogs.


So that's what is in my workshop from the tool perspective.   I also used a variety of clamps and weights during assembly of the parking brake, and of course - tunes.    


Thanks for reading, 
More to come. 


Poppapope
Denver, CO USA


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your thoughts on my build.